Saturday, March 24, 2007

Fan

Something I've put a little too much thought into is how I would react if I ever ran into one of the bloggers I read regularly. I live in Los Angeles, a city brimming with celebrities, and I barely notice them (literally and figuratively). The general rule here is that you don't stare, point, oggle, or in any way acknowledge that you see them. And only the tourists would ever consider approaching and saying something. I've actually never been tempted to say anything to a celebrity, though I've never run into someone that I'm a huge fan of. There are only two that would give me pause: Kate Winslet and Sarah Vowell. I love them, their careers, their ideas, their choices, their everything. Those are the only two people I can actually think of that I wouldn't mind being instead of me. In other words, I'm a big fan. So when it comes to the bloggers, it feels a little similar. The women whose blogs I read have moved, amused, and inspired me. I'm so impressed by their creativity and writing that I'm jealous.

One day last year I was in Target and for a brief second I could have sworn I saw Dooce, aka Heather Armstrong. A surge of adrenaline flew through my body and I instantly blushed. And then I realized it totally wasn't her and proceeded to wack myself on the side of the head until I passed out so I wouldn't be conscious of what a total idiot I am. Okay, I didn't do that--I don't think they allow that at Target--but still. I felt stupid.

Just like with film and TV celebrities, it's a strange thing to know a lot about someone and have them not know a single thing about you. I've actually run through scenarios in my head of how I could approach my top two. Do I say something like, "Ms. Winslet, sorry to bother you, but I just wanted you to know how much your work has inspired me..."? And then I realize there is just no cool way to talk to a celebrity. But I decided that if somehow in that one moment I manage to say something so witty and intelligent that they want to keep talking to me, then maybe I should quickly state a mini-bio for myself so that we're on more equal ground. You know, so they know things about me like I know things about them. God I'm a dork.

So this morning when I went to read Lawyerish, I had a bit of a start. She titled her post the same as I titled one of my first ones on Thursday: Stormy Weather. I know that it's a song and an easy title to come up with when wanting to talk about weather, but it was a little eerie. Part of me wondered if somehow she found out that I linked to her from my post and that I'm a fan. She's one of the writers that can sometimes freak me out. She writes things that are so specific to how I feel about various topics that it's uncanny. But I thank for her that because it's nice to know there are other people out there who see the world like I do at times. God I'm a dork.

Her post about Stormy Weather made me want to respond. So I'm going to do that in my next post: Ode to Sunny Weather, or a Response to Lawyerish.