Thursday, March 22, 2007

X = Anonymity and Honesty

Okay, so as my mind is racing through all the things I have to say, trying to decide on which to pick first, I've entered into the familiar blog conflict of how honest to be. Right now, not a single soul in the world knows I've started a blog. It's so freeing. I can say anything! No one will ever know! But what if the inevitable happens, what if someone does find my blog? What if they tell other people? I think I'd feel so exposed. It's not that I intend to write bad things about people I know, it's just that there are so many things I don't tell people about and I don't exactly want to start now. I'm drawn in by the idea of being apart of the blogging community, by the chance that maybe I'll write something that will catch the attention of the people I admire so much in the blogging world, and by the idea that people might be actually interested in something that I have to say. All of these things require that I publish the blog in a public way. But then, the idea of saying something that might upset someone I know or reveal me in ways that I don't want people to see, that requires me to be slightly less honest and open, which defeats the purpose. Bit of a dilemma. I know everyone has their boundries. Fake names, not mentioning close friends and family, no photos, no real-life details, etc. All I have to do is make this private and the problem is solved. But there is something so alluring about being an exhibitionist of the written word. Part of me wants to be seen naked and vulnerable. It is a little exciting. It's a risk. I'm just not sure where my line is.