Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Why, thank you for asking, James

So I love watching Inside the Actor's Studio. I adore movies, and even though I ranted about celebrity culture in my last post, it doesn't mean I don't get excited to read the occasional People or US Weekly. For me, and maybe for a lot of people, it's fascinating to see what people are like beyond the roles they play, which is one of the reasons I like the show. It's a forum where actors seem more at ease, a little less defensive, more open and willing to share. I find the show really inspiring. Here are people who have achieved enormous success at their craft. It's so great to listen to their stories, hear about their choices and failures, soak in their advice and wisdom. I guess it just feels so real to me, and I love real.

And then there's James Lipton, the host. There are times when I actually cover my face with my hands because he is making me so uncomfortable. He is obsessed with people's tattoos (creepy man!) and getting them to dance or sing. He's pretty weird and completely self-obsessed, but the show wouldn't be the same without him or the questionnaire he asks every actor towards the end of the program (everyone answers the same questions and I find it fascinating). SH (my new pseudolicous name for the boy) and I will occasionally answer the questions for ourselves, and at times we also fight over a good answer. SH came up with a great answer for the "What's your favorite word?" question and I've told him I'm using it if I get on the show before he does (ha ha). So I'm going to answer the questions here today. And in the spirit of the show, I'm not going to think about the answers ahead of time, but rather answer them right away so as to get the most raw responses.

Q: What is your favorite word?
A: Indubitably

Q: What is your least favorite word?
A: Cunt

Q: What turns you on (creatively, spiritually or emotionally)?
A: Laughter

Q: What turns you off?
A: Pain (mine or anyone else's)

Q: What is your favorite curse word?
A: Motherfucker

Q: What sound or noise do you love?
A: Baby laughter

Q: What sound or noise do you hate?
A: Sirens, people making noise in the apartment below me, people vomiting, helicopters

Q: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
A: Screenwriter

Q: What profession would you not like to do?
A: Anything to do with the human body

Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
A: You did the best job you could have and I'm proud of you.

No comments: